The flurry of autumn

Hello my non-existant readers. At least I know no one is watching me fail, but I'm back on the wagon in more ways than one, so might as well blog. 

I admit, I totally failed my attempt at the Fall for Cotton Challenge. I made a noble attempt, I swear! I had a delightful sewing day with Spinstah shortly after that last post (oh, so long ago...). In addition to getting several smaller UFOs wrapped up, I decided to tackle the wearable muslin of the Colette Sencha pattern. And discovered this is NOT the pattern for me! Even after fitting it and making notes of alterations for size, I just realized it was not flattering to my shape. Color me disappointed! I may try again in a fresh mind-set to see if I can't alter it to suit, but it may just not be for me.

And then it was off to vacation (Dublin!) and right into tech for my first show of the season. Dublin was lovely, and I enjoyed occasionally poking my head into craft and vintage shops between proper sight-seeing. Upon return, I dove right into A Beginner's Guide to Deicide at Single Carrot Theatre, and that was pretty much September and early October. 
Vintage cotton dress from Dubois Textiles.

But, since I have been remiss in posting any actual sewing posts, I will share a few success in vintage alteration world. Alas, any extra pics I hadn't already saved are gone--I recently lost my camera when my bag was snatched from our booth at the Baltimore Book Festival. That made for an exhausting and stressful few weeks.

So, while alas there are no better detail shots, here is some proof that I DID get something done in September. First is a twice-worked over cotton vintage dress, which I had altered the neckline of back in 2012 for my tea party birthday. It was perfect for an outdoor wedding, but needed to be altered some more, both for weight loss and to make it a bit airier. I took off the sleeves, and made it a cute contrasting belt. I am enjoying making belts! They seem to be missing but intended for many of my vintage dresses, are so easy to whip up, and complete outfits perfectly.
The "Perfect find" vintage dress.

My first opening for the work season was indeed the perfect opportunity for the Perfect Find Vintage Dress. It too had belt loops but no belt. I was able to dissect the collar of the ill-fitting bolero that came with the dress for just enough fabric to make a matching covered belt. Everything else fit perfect, and the dress was quite the hit!

Now I'm back to the grind, working on three freelance shows and also only just got my Halloween costume done for this weekend's party. I will try to get some images of that process. 

And then it's a race to the wire on The Trojan Women, The Importance of Being Earnest, and a trio of kid's plays for a children's theater. all opening by November 14. Wish me luck!

Comments