New York, new job, and the World's Fair

This past weekend I was lucky enough to spend a much-needed mini vacation in New York for Easter. The last few months have been a little tense, as I've alluded to previously. The news is out, so I can say: I'm changing jobs. It's turning into a very exciting opportunity, and I look forward to my new adventure. 

It was all finally decided and announced just before I left on Friday, so I was really able to relax and enjoy myself for a few days. We spent 24 hours with a friend in Queens, where we had sushi, watched Magic Mike, and on the lovely Saturday got out to Flushing Meadows Corona Park to see the site of the 1939 and 1964 World's Fairs. 

I was actually really thrilled to do this. I admit, the various World's Fairs tweak that nostalgia part of my vintage-loving habits, and I have always been a bit intrigued. The timing was great, as we even got a few sneak photos in the pavilion next to the space-age observatory towers. The pavilion was being cleaned out (somewhat) for this week's 50th Anniversary events. After that, we enjoyed a little picnic under the Unisphere, and strolled through the park. 

Saturday through Monday were spent with my brother's family in Harlem. We had roti rolls, popped around town a bit on errands, played plenty of board games, and then we made them a nice Easter lunch on Sunday. I baked a lovely little organic roast chicken to break my non-meat Lent fast...but I think I'm going to stick to the pescatarian lifestyle for a while.

 
I also spent some time giving my niece more sewing lessons. We got her a mostly-new second-hand sewing machine last year, but I think she needs a little more encouragement and practice. We tackled a test circle skirt on an old sheet, and picked out some cute red cotton from a Garment District shop that we found open on Sunday. I wrote out the steps and measurements we used, so that she can start the real one on her own when she feels ready. Looks like I will just have to plan more trips to NYC to keep up her sewing lessons!


Along the lines of the new job, I will definitely be changing some of my freelance habits in the coming months. I have no more shows lined up this season after Peter & Wendy, which I will finish while at my last week at my current day job, for which the timing was perfect. As I will now be a commuter from Baltimore to DC, my time to do numerous projects will be limited, so I am going to enjoy a few months off from shows to get used to the schedule. I suppose come fall I will have to determine what the feasibility is to continue designing. I hope to keep doing a couple shows a season with Single Carrot Theatre, and maybe try doing one or two with friends' companies in the DC area, which I haven't had the proximity to do before. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping to have more time to do just sewing for myself and single project commissions. First two dresses for my SIL are done, and she has a few more in mind. I am starting on the African cloth pieces, and have not quite given up on finishing a Sewing for Victory project. I am ready for some down time to clean the house, purge my wardrobe, and tackle some sewing. 


Comments