Spring progress

As per usual, not too much new in the personal sewing world, but I've been trying. Between working on pieces for shows with new Baltimore start-up theater company, Interrobang, and a series of one acts with Loyola, I did manage to start cutting out a few personal things, but that's about it, per usual. 

I have just completed the first two of a series of dresses for my sister-in-law. They are very simple and perfect for this spring weather we are (finally) getting, in a medium-weight navy linen, and using this cute, simple A-line pattern from Etsy.


I have also had a fitting with my friend who I am making the African print top and skirt for, and am gearing up to tackle them. There are some adjustments to make to the skirt, particularly, and I'm still researching the best pre-washing for wax-print cloth. 

And, personally, I am really trying to get involved in the Sew for Victory challenge this year. I recently got several patterns from Wearing History, and have gotten as far as tracing the pattern and cutting out a (hopefully wearable) muslin of the Smooth Sailing blouse
 
It is in a pretty, silky cream cloth that I hope will make a nice blouse I'll actually wear. I was just a little short on cloth, as it is something I pulled from my stock, so I grabbed a scrap of a similar cloth in a rich blue plaid from one of my other WIPs (I'm so good at cutting things out....), which makes a nice contrast. 

If the pattern works out, I have two lovely new florals that I think would make great vintage-inspired tops, one a linen-blend, the other in stretch cotton shirting. 

Also, one more quick find! I read in this month's InStyle about a really slick tablet pencil, designed to go with the app Paper. Now, I hadn't tried Paper yet, so I sought it out. I love it already! I rather hate my rendering skills, and since I so rarely really use them for shows, I just let it lie. But even with just my finger and a few minutes on the train to DC, I was drawing much nicer than before! (Okay, plus two $1.99 additions....Paper is free, but any enhancements aren't). 
 
If I keep playing with this and like the results, I may pony up for the $50 pencil to really draw fine details, and finally become one of those uber cool designers who renders digitally...

Just one more show for the spring and I have a breather. I'm ready to just enjoy sewing, and with some big changes happening in my life right now, would really like things to calm down a bit. I'll keep you posted!

Comments