Busy summer update

Where have I been? Do I even remember how to sew??The last few months have been quite unwieldy. I'm almost ready to call quits on 2014 completely, but I think that's just exhaustion speaking. Really, it's getting better, and this fall things should be good, if busy.


As I announced in April, I changed jobs in May. The switch was pretty fast, so the last few weeks of April and first couple of May were exhausting in just the preparation (and finishing my last spring freelance show). After nearly three months I'm settling in well, and things are going good. The Balto-DC commute is long, I won't lie, but itself isn't terrible. When I take the train I can read, and since June have finished:

Hidden (a free Kindle of the month book, pretty interesting)
and the second Call the Midwife volume.

And the commute is also flexible, I can drive to various metro stations if I don't take the train (or even several different train stations if I have somewhere else to end up after work). Driving gives me more flexibility than the train in the evenings, I have to say, as it is VERY easy to miss the train that is best timed for my work day, and then I'm 30 minutes later for the evening. Which is a lot when your normal train doesn't get in until 7:00 pm.

The view from Barby's farm in New York.
And then of course there was a house guest/vacation week in July--complete with a Murder Mystery party--and two months spent cleaning, purging and packing as my roommate/best friend since college is moving across the country in a week. So that makes things a bit nuts! But during our vacation we did get to have a quick trip to New York, including seeing Once (with an awesome backstage tour due to a friend involved with the production), and a road trip out to country side, where my costume professor from college lives with her family. She and her husband teach/direct/design at the college there, and they have a farm nearby with newly added sheep and llamas. Quite a lovely catch-up and camp out was had.


Coney Island from the Wheel of Wonder.

That's my short summary to catch you up--obviously, no sewing or creativity was really happening for most of the summer. Finally sitting down this week to clean and reorganize my studio (gave away about three bags of fabric while purging last month), and getting new things listed on Etsy.


More to come on a great antiquing trip and museum trip to the Mint in North Carolina!

Comments