Antique clothing boon

Hope everyone out there had an amazing holiday--and Happy New Year!


A lace and net bodice circa 1895.
As I teased at the end of my last post, back in early November, I was bequeathed with the most amazing donation ever. Like that sewing inheritance a couple of years ago that ended up filling my stash with such amazing vintage fabrics, notions, and patterns, accepting an offer of "old things you may like" is always dangerous. Either time it could have gone terribly awry. However, when someone contacted one of the theater's I design with regarding some boxes of "1890s-1920s women's clothing," I had to take a gander. Being too small and fragile for actual costumes, they would have been a space hindrance to a theater company mid-move and trying to purge.

However, to a costumer, seamstress, and all-round vintage junkie...they were a blessing! I could only get a quick glance into the bins the morning I picked them up, but that evening, slowly and lovingly unpacked what I could honestly describe as "Downton Abbey exploding in my living room." Several dozen amazing frocks (plus some shoes and accessories), dating from indeed roughly the mid-1890s to the mid-1930s at my best guess.


Some are quite damaged, others are amazing pieces structurally, but have damaged sections, and others are in impossibly good condition with just a few small issues.

1920s rose velvet dress.


I had previously helped out a photographer friend with loaning him some of my stock for a portfolio project, and it was done as trade--although I assumed I wouldn't really need trade in photography in the near future. However, with these amazing finds, I knew I had to document the better pieces somehow. With my two lovely coworkers in tow (who were small enough to fit some of these very delicate dresses!), we had a delightful photo shoot, to amazing results.


  


Other pieces that I felt weren't as good of condition I just did some basic at-home photos in my studio, and I have even sold one or two already.

There are still a ton of things undocumented, and I'm very slowly figuring out the division. There will be pieces I keep for myself (but only a few, I don't have space for a museum!), things I sell, either on Etsy or ebay, depending on the quality, and things I give away--a dress is already headed to Little Heap Vintage in NYC ;)  There are a few pieces in such amazing condition, I would love to donate, but not sure how to get to the right people in museums. This last one, a sheer and delicately beaded Edwardian dress, is in incredible condition for the delicateness of the fabric.
There are of course several things in rougher condition, that I'm not sure how to pass on. My favorite, a stunning 1920s dress with a heavily embroidered metallic yoke and a straight cut dress of crisply pleated pink silk turned out to have large tears and decomposition in the silk, making it pretty useless. I suppose those more damaged pieces can be dissected for patterning, research, and materials with less guilt if they are truly unwearable. But it would be hard.

All in all, it is an amazing collection, and what is shown here is just the tip of the fashion iceberg. More unique items included mantillas from Barcelona and Madrid, still with their tags on, and a christening set with a handwritten note that they had been gifted by a neighbor in China, in 1805. A well-traveled family indeed!

Comments