A vintage Thanksgiving in NYC

An extremely belated post to talk about Thanksgiving in New York, new theater, and a heck of a lot of vintage! As has become rather tradition, I spent the Thanksgiving holiday weekend in New York City with my brother's family. The holiday was delightful, mostly low-key, and pleasant. I was fighting the first week of a vicious head cold, so my new plan of carrying just a small wrist clutch was constantly thwarted by pockets overflowing with packets of tissues and cough drops. Oh well.

Among the fun was finally taking advantage of the LincTix program at Lincoln Center (before I aged out of it). For just $30, young adults (35 and under) can get tickets to nearly any show. I decided on Domesticated, a new satirical piece by Bruce Norris on gender politics in the all-too-familiar now arena of political scandal. I can't say I loved the play overall, but the production was great, seeing my first play at Lincoln Center was amazing--and I happen to love Jeff Goldblum, so, well, that was why I was there!


I did some window shopping at the Strand (hard to find the perfect book for a gift when you don't know what that book might be), and then on Saturday (after a morning matinee of Frozen) my family took me on my first foray through the hip end of Brooklyn. I am officially not cool enough for those kids in Williamsburg! But I did score a cool pair of silver earrings at the Artists & Fleas market, and check out the uber hip music store my niece loves. In an old warehouse, with storage containers as offices, more vinyl than cds, and a live performance about to occur in the adjacent space? Too hip for me by far. But a sight worth at least staring at! And of course, finished with a trip to the less hip end for a cute little knitting shop and amazing pastries from a neighborhood bakery.

Sunday, under the helpful guidance of my friend over at Little Heap Vintage, I explored the vintage finds of Chelsea. I found some amazing stands full of Bakelite at the antique flea market. Much of it was out of my range, but definitely unique pieces to ogle. At one stand I did negotiate for a couple of slim geometric spacers and a pair of already-drilled dice. (And a button for a quarter at another booth that is probably of the age as well!).


She also introduced me to the more upscale and curated Family Jewels Vintage, where I drooled but did not buy. Next door there were the most amazing macaroons and tea to re-energize.

Not far from there is a huge antique mall, where I found a dress (previously scoped by Little Heap herself, but she passed due to sizing--she is much more delicate and petite than I). However, it was nearly a perfect fit for me! A beautiful, late 1940s I would say, polka dot dress. Perfect for spring/summer. The woman cut me a major deal on it, and it just needs one of the neckline details sewn back in place.


My friend had also told me about the upscale antique mall nearby, The Show Place, which houses the only vintage lingerie store in the world. The owner works with big movie designers, Broadway, you name it! In the 30 minutes I was in there, she named my two favorite Hollywood designers and mentioned that she worked on the 1990s revival of Cabaret. Convenient that, as that is my second 2014 project! 

While the really spectacular things here are way out of my price range, she did pull out some bags of "designer discount" pieces--items for students or low-budget theaters that need repair by a clever hand. Still somewhat pricy, she cut me enough of a discount to walk away with two pairs of tap pants and a step-in that I might just be able to use for my upcoming production. (The antique mall also held another Bakelite dealer I hope to visit in the future--her prices seem fair, considering that it is in general out of my budget!)

Sunday was finished with a drink with an old friend just back from Hawaii, and then dinner with the family before driving home--and beat all the post-holiday traffic by traveling late!


Next post.... I receive an exciting donation of antique clothing that is just waiting to be shared!

Comments